Criminal Record/Police certificate is a Certificate issued by the Vietnam Provincial Justice Department to individuals including Vietnamese Citizens and Foreigners in response to their request in relation to criminal convictions while residing in Vietnam.
There are two (02) types of criminal record: Form number 1 and form number 2. Citizenship and Immigration of Canada often requires Criminal record form number 2 to those who try to apply for Canadian citizenship.
Both Criminal Record Forms must be applied for in Vietnam (The Embassy of Vietnam in Canada do NOT issue this document).
HOW TO APPLY CRIMINAL RECORD
1. To apply for Criminal record number 1:
You can apply in person (if you are currently in Vietnam) or authorize someone in Vietnam to apply on your behalf for Criminal record form number 1 at the Department of Justice where you live or have been residing in Vietnam.
To authorize someone in Vietnam to apply on your behalf for Criminal record, you must complete the followings:
Your Power of Attorney and Application form for criminal record must be certified and authenticated by the Embassy of Vietnam to be used in Vietnam.
Processing time to authenticate your power of Attorney: 5-7 business days upon the receipt of your complete application.
2. To apply for Criminal record number 2
- Criminal record number 2 must be applied for in person at the Provincial Department of Justice where you are currently residing or by mail directly to National Centre for Criminal Record relevant to Ministry of Justice of Vietnam at 58-60 Tran Phu Str, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi, Vietnam if you have left the country.
- Before mailing your application, please contact with the Provincial Department of Justice where you have been living before to make sure that your applications is well prepared. Please note that your signed application form must be authenticated by the Embassy of Vietnam in Canada along with a copy of your valid passport/ID.
- Processing time : 5-7 business days since the Embassy receive your complete application.
- All the fees are collected in US funds. Payments can be made by cash, money order, bank draft, payable to "The Embassy of Vietnam" or Credit card (Visa or Master card only). Click HERE to download the credit card charge form (Please be aware that 3% of total amount will be automatically charged for credit card transaction fee).
- The walk-in hours of the Consular services:
- Monday: 01.30 - 04.30 pm
- Wednesday and Friday: 09.30 am - 12.30 pm; 01.30 - 04.30pm.
- If you request to have the documents returned by mail, please provide full name of the recipient, a detailed mailing address (with postal code) and a telephone/cellphone number. The documents will be shipped by Fedex service (next day delivery, fee: USD 35.00/package) or Canada post service (2-3 business days, USD 25.00/package).
Due to the delayed delivery of Canada Post, Fedex service is recommended for urgent document shipping.
- Embassy address:
Embassy of Vietnam
55 Mackay St., Ottawa, ON K1M 2B2
* Useful links:
- Website of Department of Justice of Hochiminh City for police records instruction.
- Website of Hanoi Department of Justice for police records instruction.