PROCEDURE TO GET MARRIED TO A VIETNAMESE CITIZEN
- Vietnamese residents in Canada
- Canadian citizens
2. MARRIAGE DOSSIER:
- Single Status Declaration done before a Canadian notary public or Commissioner of Oaths (The statutory declaration must have your full name, present marital status and your permanent address in Canada.
+ In case of divorce, please provide notarized copy of Divorce Judgment and Certificate of Divorce.
+ In case the applicant is widowed, please provide notarized copy of Certificate of Death of his/her spouse.
- Notarized copy of Marriage Search, issued by Provincial Vital Statistics certifies that no marriage certificate or marriage record of the applicant has been found for the period from the beginning of legal age for marriage to date.
- Notarized copy of Medical Certificate, issued by an authorized medical organization or physician and clearly indicates that the applicant is free from mental and infectious diseases, has no sexually transmitted diseases (especially free from HIV/AIDS) with supporting reports of physician examination and blood tests and is generally healthy and fit to get married (only the page with the comments of doctor needs to be translated into Vietnamese; results of tests are not required to be translated).
- Notarized copy of Birth Certificate certified by a Notary Public or Commissioner for Oath. In case of having no copy of Birth Certificate (lost, dismissed or cannot obtained), the applicant should make an Affidavit or Statutory Declaration in lieu of Birth certificate.
- Notarized copy of personal documents (Passport, Citizenship Card/Landed Immigrant document).
- Notarized copy of Certificate of changing name (if any)
- In case the applicant cannot come to Vietnam to submit in person all marriage documents or divorce papers, the applicant has to make a Power of Attorney (Download Form UQ/LS), certified by a Notary Public or Commissioner for Oath and fill out 02 Biography Information Sheet (Download Form LLKH) and 02 Applications for Marriage Registration (Download Form DKKH) with 01 latest photo attached to each form.
- All the above-mentioned documents need to be authenticated by the Department of Foreign Affairs of Canada before being sent to the Embassy of Vietnam for legalization and translation. The procedure of authentication and processing time is available on the website of the Department of Foreign Affairs of Canada at: http://www.international.gc.ca.
Address: The Authentication and Service of Document Section (JLAC) - Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada: 125 Sussex Drive, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1A 02G (by mail) or 111 Sussex Drive, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada (Monday to Friday 10:30am to Noon and 2:00pm to 3:00pm) (walk-in).
- All documents need to be translated into Vietnamese (except copies of Passport, Vietnamese Birth Certificate, and Record of landing) and legalized. This service would be provided by the Embassy.
- Applicants may request for supporting service of document authentication at the Department of Foreign Affairs of Canada by sending all notarized documents to the Embassy along with a letter of request. Processing time is approximately 2 – 3 business days.
- All documents must be valid within six (06) months since the date issued on the papers.
4. FEES, SHIPPING AND PROCESSING TIME:
Fees must be paid in form of US$ cash, US$ money order or US$ bank draft, payable to "The Embassy of Vietnam" or credit card (Please be aware that 3% of total amount will be automatically charged for credit card transaction fee). Please contact our officers at (613) - 236 0772 - Ext. 221 if you need further information.
If you request to have the documents returned by mail, please provide full name of the recipient, a detailed mailing address (with postal code) and a telephone/cellphone number. The documents will be shipped by Fedex service (next day delivery, fee: USD 35.00/package) or Canada post service (2-3 business days, USD 25.00/package). Additional charge may be applied for remote areas shipping. Without the mailing service specification, your documents will be returned by Fedex.
Due to the delayed delivery of Canada Post, Fedex service is recommended for urgent document shipping.
The processing time is five (05) to seven (07) business days since the receipt of complete application.
The address of the EMBASSY OF VIETNAM:
55 MACKAY STREET
OTTAWA, ON, K1M2B2